Southland Sports Car Club Inc
|Where||86 Sandy Point Road, Otatara, Invercargill
|Map + Directions|
|Categories||Circuit Racing, Motorkhanas|
|Phone||03 213 0522|
|Description||Since 1948 the Southland Sports Car Club Inc. has been one of the leading Clubs in the country. The Club entered the International motor race series in 1956 with the fastest-ever motor race on a road circuit at Ryal Bush. This led to the construction of Teretonga Park in 1957 at Sandy Point, the second purpose-built motor racing track in New Zealand. It was extended to its present configuration in 1966.
In the golden age of NZ Motor Racing in the 60s and 70s, Teretonga has hosted many of the world’s greatest drivers. There is a fine display of memorabilia in the Clubrooms.
The New Zealand Grand Prix was first held on Teretonga in January 2001. A record number of entries were received for this event, and since this we have continued with a very successful MotorSport Premiere Event each year including the Series Finals in 2008.
Regarded by many drivers as the best and safest track in the country, it has been up-graded on a continual basis.
The regular racing programme includes rounds of the local Clubmans Series featuring rounds of South Island Racing Registers and a very large Classic Car meeting in February of each year.
The circuit is also used for Sprints and Motorkhanas. Other clubs run numerous events including Motor Cycle Races, Training Days and Club Special Days at Teretonga.
Keen and enthusiastic committees, assisted by many helpers and local organisations ensure that events organised by the Club maintain a consistently high standard.
|Comments||0 comments (see below)|